 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2458
2457  |  2459
Subject:
Stairs built with 1/10 offset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:56:25 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello,

These stairs are my last creation based on a building technique :

During the last days I worked on the 1/10 offset. In the past, Jason J Railton showed us how to obtain a horizontal 1/10 offset [1].

My work began with the study of the minifig leg. Indeed, this brick allows in SNOT to have a hole in what I call low position ( a Technic brick or the back of a headlight brick have the hole in high position, a vertical 1/2 plate offset ). We can have the same hole in low position with a lain headlight brick but with a horizontal offset. So using minifig legs and headlight bricks, I obtained a vertical 1/5 offset. After that, I inserted jumpers to get the vertical 1/10 offset.

This configuration has the studs inside. It is easy to have the same offset with the studs outside using classic SNOT techniques.

What is really interressant in this technique is the use of the minifig leg to have a low position hole without a horizontal offset.

Some days after, I decided to combine the vertical and the horizontal offsets, and tried to find an idea of application. So I built these little stairs. Each step is built with a similar technique as the following :

As result, I’have this small MOC which uses *only* 84 headligh bricks :). I really like the visual effects provided by the alternance of the white and blue motifs on the steps. It was for me just a stylistic exercise.

Maybe a day someone will find a good use of this technique.

You will find the totality of the pictures on the Brickshelf gallery : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=110887

[1] Jason J Railton, 1/10 offset, http://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks_us/offset.htm

Erik “brickerik” Amzallag