 Announcements / 929
Re: Scheduled downtime 18 Jan 2001 for memory upgrade
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:34:17 GMT

My apologies -- this didn't happen today as planned.  My guy at the other
end of the line (where the lugnet.com box is co-located) called in sick
yesterday and today[1], so the upgrade is postponed.  I'll post again when
we have a new date and time -- hopefully soon.  There's a slight chance that
it might happen tonight (but doubtful).

The memory upgrade is now complete -- although it wasn't 100% successful.
The system's motherboard was reluctant to recognize any DIMMs in the 3rd
slot, meaning we failed get to 768 MB and we are stuck with only 512 MB.
It may be a faulty motherboard or some idiosyncracy its architecture.

On the upside, 512 MB is still a huge leap forward from the original 128 MB
and will probably still do quite fine.  I'd wanted to go to 768 MB as extra
super overkill protection (in other words, it wasn't a dire necessity).  We
can go higher on some other new server box later this year.

The system was also to have received a new 100 Mbit/second network card
tonight to replace its old 10 Mbit/second network card, but this has been
postponed.  This upgrade will help it communicate with other future systems
on its local network much more efficiently.  It may also result slight
speedups for people on very fast network connections.  I'll give as much
heads-up time as I can when this is about to occur.

Everyone's patience during the more than three hours of up and down and up
and down this evening is greaty appreciated.

I've been fighting some kind of cold/virus thing for the past 48 hours and
I'm about to collapse, so I won't be staying up to keep an eye on things.
However, I'll keep my cell phone turned on and nearby, so if there are any
emergencies or extremely flaky things going on, please don't hesitate to
call me at 617-970-3126.

--Todd