 Announcements / 842
841  |  843
Subject:
Server freakage today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:15:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Twice today in the past two hours, the load average on the lugnet.com server
has shot up to extremly high levels.  Normal activity is between 0.5 and 2.0
or so during the day.  It spiked up to 300 twice today and then back down to
normal levels.  I don't know yet what is causing this.  I doubt that it is a
hardware problem.  It's either a DoS attack or a bug somewhere in one of the
server processes.  I'll be trying some experiements today to see if I can
isolate it.  You might notice a few portions of the webserver not working for
a few minutes at a time.  I'm suspecting a bug in the mod_rewrite module of
Apache which I noticed had problems in August when the URL regex contained
something it didn't understand.  What happened in those cases is that the
httpd process spun (hung) until it was killed by the reaper deamon and left
no trace in the httpd logs.  I could see it spinning whenever I invoked a
certain URL under certain test conditions.  Symptoms now are very similar to
that behavior, but I need to conduct experiments to be sure.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and may continue to cause
until it is isolated and fixed.

--Todd