 Announcements / 837
836  |  838
Subject:
Newsserver downtime
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 16:58:07 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As you may have noticed, the LUGNET newsserver stopped displaying new articles
for approximately 90 minutes today.  According to the server logs, there was
an extremely abnormally high load average for several minutes around 10:00 EST,
which seems to have resulted in a stale lockfile in one of the newsserver's
control directories (I suspect some process starved and didn't clean up
properly upon abnormal exit).  This caused about 30-40 articles to be put
on hold in an incoming spool directory.  Removing the lockfile caused all
the queued-up articles immediately to appear and the also caused the normal
functioning of the newsserver to resume.  I'm now looking at ps and httpd
logs hoping to learn more about the cause.

--Todd