 Announcements / 4185
4184  |  4186
Subject:
Intermittent Outage Notification: Lugnet Server Move
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 09:14:36 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Dear Lugnet Community,

after roughly 8 years of residing on the same server platform, it has become
inevitable to move Lugnet contents to a new server.

We have had the odd intermittent outage because of server components failing,
but much worse is the fact that we are unable to keep the current operating
system platform at the required level of security. Patches have long since been
discontinued so for every vulnerability we have to build the necessary packages
ourselves which is a long and tedious effort.

We have acquired a new machine that is suitable to support Lugnet contents for
years to come. Initial tests look promising, therefore we are planning to move
the entire site to this new server within the next couple of days.

This notification is to advise you of the upcoming change, and the fact that the
move may leave to intermittent issues in posting new articles to Lugnet.

If all goes well, you should be able to post new articles to Lugnet at virtually
any time. If it does not quite go as planned, there is a risk of articles being
posted to not actually make it to the live site. Posting via NNTP or Email is
particularly at risk as we have to replace the entire mechanism with updated
software. Posting via the Web is probably going to be the most reliable approach
for the coming 1-2 weeks. Please save a copy of what you have posted and should
you find your article is missing, please try to repost once we send an "all
clear" message in reply to this announcement.

Work to move the server contents will begin pretty much today (March 6, 2015) -
this coming weekend (March 7/8) is likely to see a first attempt of switching to
the new server. I am not 100% confident that this is going to be successful on
first try (previous attempts in recent years had a lot of issues from which I
believe we have learned a lot), so we will probably be switching back and forth
a few times for testing purposes.

Contents should be accessible at all times, but the described effect on posting
may occur.

Thank you very much for your patience and support.

Thanks,
Jerry