 Announcements / 3980
Please note: Change in LUGNET email behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:56:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

recently we have again had to deal with a significant surge in spam and as a
result have found LUGNET blacklisted on Spamcop.

This is quite obviously due to the fact that spammers have increasingly used the
mail2news gateway of LUGNET, resulting in such emails being bounced to the -
usually fake - email sender addresses.

As a quick fix, I have now disabled the automatic notification for as yet
unregistered email sender addresses which normally is there to inform you that
you need to register (and activate) your email address in order to be able to
use the mail2news gateway.

This registration is still required (for reference, you need to register your
sender address here:  http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/ ) but in case you
forget to do so, you will not be receiving error messages any more.

The amount of justified error messages of this type has been minimal in the
recent past, but we have seen over 10,000 "unnecessary" bounces (to spammers)
every day for quite a while now.

Email traffic on LUGNET should be decreasing significantly now without any
negative impact to the news system.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Thanks,

Jerry