 Announcements / 3666
3665  |  3667
Subject:
Serious E-mail issue resolved
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:04:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

@ll,

I am very sorry that apparently a serious issue with LUGNET's e-mail service
went unnoticed for a couple of days. This resulted in a backlog of some 16,000
messages that went unprocessed plus several thousand e-mails that were not sent
out. The good news is, more than 70% of this must be supposed to have been just
spam which would have been deleted anyway. The bad news is, the automatic
warning that should have triggered on such a failure just didn't.

The other effect was, that part of e-mails to us admins also went undelivered,
so we could not even notice those of your requests that were directed to the
admin e-mail addresses.

As I am writing this, the server has successfully processed the backlog and
should be sending out missing authentication requests and digests within the
next 2-3 hours (I would expect it to take that long since a couple of receiving
mail servers have already started slowing down mail reception from LUGNET).

I am reviewing the warning system right now because I certainly do not want to
see this happen again.

Please accept my apologies - I should have noticed sooner but couldn't since I
was kept busy by other projects.

Thanks to all who tried (and in part successfully managed) to flag this to us. I
think I am speaking on behalf of René as well.

Sorry again,

Jerry