 Announcements / 3615
3614  |  3616
Subject:
Keeping me on a string...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:11:00 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

A few months ago, I made the announcement (in the correct newsgroup!) that I
would sell my entire collection (Technic, Model Team, and 12V trains) of sets
from 1978 untill 2004.
All the sets were really low priced (compared to the lowest BrickLink-prices),
although every set was still complete with its original box, its original tray
and tray-cover, its original building instructions and in a much better
condition than the ones you can find on BrickLink. The reason why I handled
these low prices was only because I wanted to sell everything at the same time
because I don't have enough storage space anymore (with three children growing
up and taking more space in the house). I wasn't prepared to sell set by set
because it'll take much too long before I get rid of everything.
I found one possible buyer: João Figueiredo from Portugal (nickname Figueifoto).
Especially for him, I sacrificed my entire summer holidays to inventory all sets
(using Peeron and BrickLink-inventories), to make sure that no bricks were
misplaced, that each set would be complete. Everything was packed in five large
boxes, ready for him to pick them up when he would come to Belgium (I even gave
a discount comparable to the possible transportation-costs that he never had to
pay in the first place, not even when I had to ship everything to Portugal!).
On August 10, I was invited by TLC in Billund for their 75th anniversary. By
sheer coincidence, he was there too. He asked me to bring a few sample sets from
my collection to verify the good quality of my sets. Unfortunately I didn't get
to choose the sample sets: I had to open the boxes again to pick three sets from
the bottom of the boxes. In one of his e-mails he claimed that his choice of
sample sets was not negociable (and that's were I first got a little
suspicious)!
When we met in Billund he immediately noticed the extremely good quality of my
25 year old sets (his words:"you don't find these sets in such good quality
anymore"). At the end of our conversation he wanted to take these sets home,
just like that. He said he would give me 50 euro or so (and that's were I got
really suspicious!!). I tried to explain him that my extremely low prices were
only applicable on the entire lot (not on one or two sets). To make sure that he
would come by to pick up the rest of the sets one month later (on his trip to
Belgium) I asked him to pay me a little more (which would be discounted from the
grandtotal we agreed on!!!). Unfortunately he wasn't prepared to do so.
Because I didn't get to choose these sample sets, I had the impression that he
was just trying to take advantage of me. Apparently these three sets were the
most important sets missing in his collection. It probably never was his
intention to come buy later to pick up the rest, he just tried to rip me off on
three sets.
Since August 10, he has never contacted me again. Only after I contacted him a
few days ago, he told me he wouldn't go on with our deal. The man has been
keeping me on a string for over two months(!!) making me believe he would buy
the entire lot. He said he had to take a loan from the bank: what kind of idiot
gets a 4300 euro loan to buy his toys?
Just wanted to let you all know about this "buyer"...

Maarten