 Announcements / 3583
3582  |  3584
Subject:
New military aircraft: F-117A Stealth fighter and Su-27 Flanker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:50:30 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

It's been a while since I last posted any of my models on lugnet, but I have
been building quite a bit in recent months. I would like to present two of my
most recent MOCs.

The first is my F-117A Stealth fighter:
It has a retractable landing gear as well as an internal weapons bay with
trapeze-mounted laser-guided bombs. The model took a fairly long time to build.
Initially I built much of it using slopes, or sculpting it with layers of
plates. The shape turned out all right, but the overall look wasn't quite right.
The real aircraft has many sharp lines, and building those required something
different, which is why I started experimenting with plates and bricks set at an
angle -not unlike the F-117 by John Rezkalla. It took me about two months, with
many small changes being made as it progressed. It is undoubtedly one of the
most difficult models I have ever built.

The second aircraft, a Russian Su-27 Flanker-B, came together a lot more
quickly, although it's been a _very_ long time in the planning.
A friend of mine has had a  Flanker built with LEGO since both of us were
teenagers and we spent hours tinkering with it together. Several years later,
when I first saw medium blue and sand blue LEGO, my initial thought was:
wouldn't that look good for a Flanker? Several more years later, I have finally
gathered the parts to actually do it. The entire thing was put together in a
somewhat frenzied two days building.

I hope you'll like them.
Cheers,
Ralph