 Announcements / 3515
3514  |  3516
Subject:
Bulldog Sculpture
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.build.schleim
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 15:49:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Just to let people know... I’m not dead. I’m just a little busy. :-)

More Pictures

This sculpture was built using Bram Lambrecht’s LSculpt utility (http://lego.bldesign.org/LSculpt/) combined with the Ldraw (http://www.ldraw.org/) set of tools.

Bacon Elementary School in Fort Collins, Colorado contacted me to build a sculpture of their mascot, Churchill the bulldog. I must say that this was a challenge. The most stressing part was during final assembly when physical reality met theoretical engineering. When large structures are built out of plates, there tends to be a curvature to the assembly. (I vividly remember discussing this with Wayne Hussey at Brickfest in March) This caused the main body panels to pull away from the internal structure. Needless to say, I panicked. I had been on a marathon building streak and was completely exhausted, so I called another builder to help me out. After a little calming help from him we had the main body completed by the end of the day. All tolled, I spent about 24 hours of labor on this guy and enlisted another 8 from my friend.

-Duane