 Announcements / 3485
3484  |  3486
Subject:
Robo Quad - Stage Two and Three
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:03:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Robo Quad - Stage One notes
Stage Two - Completed
Stage Three - Completed
Stage Four - Work in progress
Robo Quad - Gallery

Stage One - Completed

Starting drive system Left front paw - top Left front paw - rear Left front paw - bottom

Goals:
  • Use RC racer motors to power the drive wheels.
  • Use a motorized turntable for the ankle steering.
  • Black Technic and plates.
  • Sturdy and reliable.
Notes:

There is the possibility of axle twist at the wheels, despite the near
constant axle grip along the length of the axle. Though at the point
nearing deflection, I believe the hard point on the toe would take over
the weight load in the climbing or walking states.

Using stud less TECHNIC turntables for the wheel bearings is an option
for a later time. Plus, when I can get 4 of them when I can!

The ankle steering works along with a flange or cross brace that limits
full 360 degree rotation. I considered using the drive system from the
8880 Super Car. Though the ends of the feet would look like caster wheels
(due to the inclination to add the steering!), sure would be cool to use
those wheels and AWD hubs!

I think the front paws are a good compromise on a variety of designs.

Ready to proceed.

Stage Two - Completed

Ankle Flange Begin knee joints Begin rear paws Rear paws completed

Goals:
  • Create reinforced motorized flange for ankle steering.
  • Determine best configuration for the elbow joints; turntable or beam to z40.
  • Create rear paws.
  • Prepare rear lower leg section.
Notes:

Ankle flange completed. Motor wires routed through the center of the
turntable. Removed rotation sensor and added a clutch gear in the drive
train. Sturdy transition towards elbow joints. Rear paws completed. Rear
paws use bent stud less beams, similar to the proto types to create the
angle in the rear foot.

Ready to proceed.

Stage Three - Completed

Stand test

Current status image: 24 motors

4 legs completed Knee joint and “C” clamp Shoulder joints use multiple z8,z24 and z40 gears Side splay uses two shocks on each side

Goals:
  • Create strong knee joint - Turntables and high torque gear train.
  • Continue wire routing through turntables.
  • Create strong shoulder joint - Turntables and increased power gear train.
  • Create hip splay at shoulder joint.
Notes:

Legs completed. Some minor areas need attention.
Need to complete “C” clamp reinforcements at the knees and shoulders.
Knee and hip joints are very strong and provide plenty of power.
Side splay at the shoulder joints use two large shock absorbers.
Final distance proportions for width and length not set.
Temporary connection created between the front and rear leg sections

Ready to proceed.

Stage Four - Work in progress

Goals:
  • Complete knee and shoulder “C” clamp reinforcements.
  • Finalize body demensions based on leg distance.
  • Create strong spine joint and surrounding connections.
  • Begin central body frame work and gang wire leads.
Ready to proceed

Robo Quad - Gallery

Eric Sophie