 Announcements / 3430
Subject:
6-foot-tall freestanding Chase logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.build.sculpture
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:36:36 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi again, everybody:

I’m happy to announce I’ve just completed my largest sculpture ever. It’s, unfortunately, a very plain (boxy) shape, but it was a fun (and blistering) challenge to build nonetheless.

JPMorgan Chase asked me to build this 6’4” tall model of their corporate logo for a home-builder expo. In the center of the logo, I added a microscale town (announced last month) showing suburban and urban residential development. The logo will appear at trade shows across the US throughout 2007, before finally setting down in a permanent home. I’ll keep you posted if it’s coming to your neighborhood. :)

Read about it on MOCpages or seankenney.com.

The biggest challenge in this project was coming up with a safe and sturdy way to get each of the “wedges” of Chase’s logo to seemingly float in mid-air. Three of the four wedges don’t touch each other or the base, and attach only to an internal metal armature, which is mounted to a wooden base for stability. There are also some lights mounted into the logo that shine down on the little city.

The model was built as one inseperable hunk-o-brick, and was so huge it nearly didn’t fit into the service elevator on it’s way out! It weighs over 400 pounds and uses about 57,000 bricks. It’s fully glued and took about 310 hours to build. I’m seeing blue in my sleep.

Anyway, I know it’s not much in the way of a sculptural masterpiece, but it was an interesting challenge nonetheless and I thought I’d share. At the show, a few passers-y stood speechless, literally with their jaws down. I suppose many folks just aren’t aware of us crazy LEGO addicts. :)

Sean
- - -
Sean Kenney
LEGO Certified Professional