 Announcements / 3246
3245  |  3247
Subject:
The Move Is On...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 18:49:10 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

I think it is time to let all of you know that LUGNET will switch servers - as
some delinquent computer firm liked to put it - "real soon now".

We are currently sorting out the domain re-routing procedure, but after that it
is anticipated that the switch will happen this weekend (if all goes as
expected) or early next week. This is real. It is happening.

With this switch, there may be some irregularities when it comes to NNTP access,
posting or news-to-mail subscriptions. We had one of these last week, and
although I am trying to prevent subsequent glitches from happening, I cannot
rule it out completely, so please bear with us if you find you receive duplicate
mails.

No postings, contents or whatever should get lost in the process. We have done a
complete image of the old machine and will do continuous differential copies to
the new machine until go-live. If after the (separately announced) switch date
you should find you cannot access the NNTP server or post through the web, you
will most certainly still hit the old machine (which we are not yet taking
off-line). In order to make sure you realize seeing the new server, it will say
so ("NEW SERVER") in the title bar of your browsers. We have already taken
precautions to make sure you will find the new machine as quickly as technically
feasible, with the actual switch happening when most of you hopefully won't
notice anyway (i.e. night-time U.S. ;) )

If after the switch you encounter issues that we were unaware of (despite
thorough testing this can't be ruled out completely), you are encouraged to let
us know by email (where "us" basically will be "me" as I will have to sort out
technical issues on the new machine - I'm happy to say that the "makers" of
LUGNET have been and will be helpful in the process).

Just btw., I am only the "technical guy", so administrative questions are being
sorted out between the "old" LUGNET people and René - I am sure you will find
all questions in this regard answered very soon.

We have tried to prepare everything possible to make this a smooth transition.
If something does not work as expected, we will fix it. In the meantime, thanks
a lot for your patience and feedback.

Jerry