 Announcements / 3222
3221  |  3223
Subject:
Bricksmith 1.4: Intel and More
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 01:43:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Bricksmith 1.4 adds the following features:
  • Universal Binary (Intel support)
  • Missing parts are reported
  • LDraw “~Moved” parts are automatically upgraded to their new numbers
  • Active viewport is indicated with a focus rectangle
  • Exporting steps does all submodels at once

It also fixes the following bugs:
  • When multiple parts are moved, they all move by the same amount
  • Rotation angles are now reported correctly when Y = 90°.
  • Models no longer accumulate extra “Name: ” comments
  • Automatically searches a saved model’s enclosing folder for part references
  • Opens Windows Latin 1 encoding
  • No longer prone to starting new submodels far from the origin
  • Crosshair tool won’t get stuck

Bricksmith 1.4 aims to clean out most of the skeletons that have been accumulating in the closet. This releases focuses on bug-fixes, and some of these bugs have been long-standing, serious, and/or very annoying. It gives me great pleasure to put them in the grave.

One of my main goals in this release was adapting to Apple’s new hardware directions. The first component of that process was compiling the software for Intel processors. The speed of the new Intel Macs is compelling. Bricksmith performs roughly the same on a 1.83 GHz iMac Core Duo as it does on a Dual 2.7 GHz G5.

The other major new hardware direction is the pervasiveness of multi-processor Macs. One of the reasons it has been so long since I’ve updated Bricksmith is that I started to add multiprocessor support. Unfortunately, my home computer is not dual-core, so the multiprocessor feature has received too little testing to release. It is off by default in Bricksmith 1.4. But if you’re feeling brave, you can test it out by opening the Terminal and typing the following incantation:
defaults write com.AllenSmith.Bricksmith UseThreads -boolean YES
To turn it back off, just change the YES to a NO.

Bricksmith requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later, and may be download it at http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/. It is both Intel and PowerPC native.

Sincerely,
Allen Smith