 Announcements / 3015
3014  |  3016
Subject:
Plays with the Heaven and Earth Creative Thing Abnormal Play
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.books, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 05:28:05 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I finally got my hands on a copy of the Japanese language publication of The Brick Testament: Stories from the Book of Genesis, which apprently was released last December:

“Plays with the Heaven and Earth Creative Thing Abnormal Play” is how Google Translate renders the title in English, but that may not be 100% accurate. :)

As you can see above, the Japanese publisher decided to take some free reign in redesigning the cover art. The cover is a dust jacket that folds out to reveal more characters on the inner sleeve of both the front and back:

While overall I prefer the original English cover, this version does have its charms, such as the upside-down rainbow, and Shem making the cover while God is relegated to the fold-over.

The book’s content is largely the same inside, though the design is a little different. As you can see from a couple of sample pages, the text is given in both Japanese and English, each story has its own background color, and the image borders have a slightly 3D effect and one “interlocking” side:

The Introduction and About the Author sections are also given in both languages. I’d love to know how accurately those come across in Japanese:

And finally, if you’re curious what the cover of the book looks like underneath the dust jacket, here’s a look.

I’d known for some time that a Japanese version of the book was coming out, so occasionally over the last year I would search for it on Amazon.co.jp. Although I was able to find my English and German language books there, I didn’t find the Japanese version apparently because for that one both the book’s title and my name were converted into Japanese characters.

Anyhow, I’m a little late with this announcement, but I’m delighted to share the news that my book is now available to the people of Japan!

-Brendan Powell Smith