 Announcements / 2765
2764  |  2766
Subject:
*** LDView Version 3.0 Beta 1 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:20:26 GMT

LDView version 3.0 Beta 1 is now available for public testing, in both source and binary forms for Windows and Linux. You can find both at the new LDView web page on SourceForge.net:

http://ldview.sourceforge.net/

This is an official public beta test for LDView 3.0. LDView 3.0 has an entirely new back end (both the rendering engine, and the LDraw file loading engine). This allows for a few new features that would have been very difficult before. However, it also means that there’s a much greater potential for problems than in past releases. I’ve tried to reduce the number of problems by going through three private alpha test releases. I want to thank my alpha testers for their feedback.

This version has a bunch of new features, as well as a fair number of bug fixes. Also, thanks to Peter Bartfai’s hard work, the Linux version has finally been brought up-to-date. Testing of the Linux version would be greatly appreciated.

The following is a short list of some of the more major new features:
  • Significantly reduced memory usage and load time on large models.
  • BFC (back-face culling) support.
  • Toolbar for quick access to certain functionality.
Please see the full change history here.

Note that the official LDView email address has also changed. The new one is ldview@gmail.com. The new LDView home page reflects this change.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)