 Announcements / 2673
2672  |  2674
Subject:
Building a landmark, one brick at a time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 02:01:46 GMT

I just wanted to make a quick announcement of the GMLTC’s next big building project.

In honor of the city of Rochester, Minnesota’s Sesquicentennial - their 150th anniversary, we’ll be building a LEGO version of the Plummer Building. The Plummer Building is over 75 years old, and is one of the original Mayo Clinic buildings and is a well recognized and well-loved landmark in Rochester.

A few pictures of the building here.

We’ll be building it next weekend, Friday, September 10th through Sunday, September 12th. More details on the event here.

Our version will be around seven feet tall, and 3 1/2 feet square. We’re guesing around 75,000 bricks. A special “THANK YOU” to Jake McKee and The LEGO Company for providing many of the basic bricks (we don’t know the cost, yet!) and to all the BrickLink sellers that have been just super to purchase from. I’ve also filled about a dozen large Pick-a-Brick cups at the Imagination Center at the Mall of America, the employees there know me by name!

Steve Demlow has done about 95% of the MLCAD design work, I’ve pitched in a few ideas, but mostly I’m aquiring bricks. Special kudos to Steve for the dozens and dozens of hours of design work he’s done.

If you’re in the Rochester area, stop in and help us do some building that weekend! We’ll be the ones with sore thumbs, and huge smiles on our faces.

After the event, hopefully we’ll have lots of pictures to share.

JohnG, GMLTC