 Announcements / 2412
2411  |  2413
Subject:
First NYCLUG Meeting -- Without A Hitch!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 04:53:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Fellow NYCLUG’ers,

PLEASE HIGHLIGHT OR SPOTLIGHT THIS! Our first meeting went very well -- despite nosy security guards (who were just doing their jobs, God bless ‘em!) and the late appearance of yours truly (it was... uh, traffic! Er, no parking spots! Or something like that ). We spilled the contents of the Lego kits provided by Jake and TLC (thanks Jake!) onto a round table that was WAAAAY too small (a few pieces fell prey to ‘edge creep’, but were mercifully recovered), and a curiously-placed black hole swallowed a few small pieces until John G. lodged a rather clever cover into it. Genius! And now, the minutes:

MEMBERS PRESENT Sid Dinsay, Ian Horst, Avery Horowitz, Jonathan Lopes, John Green, Eric Sophie.

GUEST STARS Woman who came over and asked, “Is this an intelligence test?” (paraphrasing, of course); man who came over and said, “What are you guys building?” (again, a paraphrase); Older man who came over and asked, “Just curious... what are you gentlemen doing?” (not verbatim); and security guard who told us not to take pictures and muttered “Not me! Not me!” (I think that’s a quote.)

ITEMS DISCUSSED 1) BYLAWS, MISSION, ETC. It was agreed that such a document was needed to ensure the legitimacy, etc. of NYCLUG. I will draft the draft and send around for edits within the coming month. Our mission will be along the lines of To further our love of Lego; to further the ‘Play Well’ philosophy; to get together with others who share our love of Lego; etc.

2) “FOUNDING FIVE” Actually, the “Founding Six” once Eric showed up. Among the benefits -- getting to play with the Lego that was there. Guessing that once we establish NYCLUG “executive staff” (a VERY informal executive staff -- no suits), we’ll pick from the Founding Six to get us going (at least, on an interim basis).

3) UPCOMING MEETINGS, EVENTS Was agreed that we should aim for same time in March for the second meet, perhaps a weeknight or another Sunday. Eric suggested that we try and line up a meeting at one of the Lego stores.

4) “COMMUNITY PILE” All Lego sent to us by Jake goes into a “Community Pile,” which shall be brought to each Event or Meeting. From this pile, NYCLUG’ers can pick pieces out to use in creations; such creations will be presented at each meeting. Also, pieces taken away from the CP will be shown to other members prior to end of each Event or Meeting for an informal “okay” by other members. NYCLUG’ers are also welcomed to deposit parts from their “junk piles” into the CP. CP pieces are NOT to be sold by NYCLUG’ers -- on Bricklink, eBay or similar venue. Methinks banishment from NYCLUG is not beyond reach for such offenders.

5) LEGO STORE VISIT?: Sometime soon, interested NYCLUG’ers may take a trip to the Lego stores in either Paramus, NJ or Nyack, NY. This will require a coordinated effort -- and (a) big car(s).

6) MEMBERSHIP At this point, following precedent set by other LUG’s, NYCLUG will comprise Adult Fans of Lego.

7) LOGO Ian will get crackin’ on designing a logo.

Anything else I may have forgotten, feel free to add to this.

The few photos we were able to snap, I’ll post to BrickShelf soon. I will also post this to LUGNET, so please highlight/spotlight. Once next date is determined, I’ll let everyone know. Hopefully we’ll get more of y’all to the next shindig!

Play well,

Sid Visit ARCHITEKTA -- My Lego Creations! http://onedaycnn.freeservers.com

“Architecture begins when you carefully put two bricks together.” -- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe