 Announcements / 1903
1902  |  1904
Subject:
Train Operating Weekend invitation (Vancouver, BC Canada)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 04:04:48 GMT

Ever get tired of watching the trains go round and round at a show? Ever
want to build a really *big* layout? Ever want to run trains that really go
somewhere and do work? Ever wanted to run Lego trains using DCC?

Then here's your chance. On the weekend of Jan 31 - Feb 2 in Vancouver, BC
Canada we'll be holding a train operating weekend involving a 32' x 25'
layout with a main line run of over 150 feet, DCC operation, and you're
invited!

The focus of this event is to build a large layout which allows us to do
*realistic operation*, and then operate it to a timetable. No round and
round for the general public - in fact, no general public :-). Not just
switching, but main line running from passenger expresses right down
to way freights that switch every siding they come to. Something for
everyone! For more information on "operation" as in large model railroads,
see here:
http://www.gatewaynmra.org/library.htm
There are lot of articles on there, the ones of interest are under the Model
Railroad Operations and Freight Yards headings.

The emphasis from a building point of view will be primarily on the track
layout and reliable rolling stock, but I hope to have buildings for the
various stations and industries as well. There will not be the level of
detail that we do on  a show layout - in fact, you will be able to see the
table tops (shock! horror!)

We have the use of a large church basement for the weekend of Fri 31 Jan (my
birthday!) evening until sun eve Feb 2nd. The layout plan I have mocked up
so far is 32' x 25' with a main line end-to-end run of about 368 track
sections (153 feet) plus many spurs, yard sidings, engine depots, station
loops, etc etc. James Powell is going to bring his DCC-outfitted motors and
controllers so we can run the main line using DCC, and use Lego controllers
on the yards and sidings.

Cost per person will be CN$25 or US$18 (covers donation to the church for
use of the hall and materials for the layout). I need to hear from you ASAP
if you want to attend this event. Spaces are limited to 16 people, and 7
spaces are already taken. Payment will be due by Jan 17th: you can pay me
via Paypal, or you can mail it to me. Billeting may be available (we're
talking air mattresses and floorspace here :-)  )

I've set up a Yahoogroups mailing list for discussion of the layout, who is
building/bringing what, etc, which I will add attendees to. If you can't
attend this time but are interested and want to be part of the discussion,
let me know and I'll add you to the group. Feel free to use a temporary
email address for this if you are worried about spam, just let me know what
it is.

For more information or to reserve a space, email me or post to
lugnet.trains.

Kevin
NEW Half-Timbered Shops kit 1400+++ pieces!
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-bwh.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1