 Announcements / 1888
1887  |  1889
Subject:
[rtlToronto] rtlToronto Makes the Front Page. Literally.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.announce, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:40:19 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The December 22nd, 2002 Sunday edition of the Toronto Star features a Lego
brick mosaic of the paper's banner, in place of the normal banner on the top
of the front page. It also includes a detailed article about rtlToronto and
Lego enthusiasts in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), as well as photos of an
rtlToronto member's creations (Dave Koudys).

See the front page and story of how it was built here:
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-122202-index.html

See the article about rtlToronto here:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1035775863435

The mosaic was built by rtlToronto members including myself, Derek Raycraft
and Jeff Van Winden.  I worked with the Star art department to get all the
logos and reduce the graphics to a suitable design that could be built out
of Lego.  Derek then built pretty well all of the mosaic himself except the
sides, which I put together Friday night.  On Saturday morning, we gathered
and Jeff quickly put together a smaller version by hand, which was used in
some secondary photos.

The project is 231 dots by 24 dots, and roughly five feet long.  This was
because 24 dots was easily made from 32x16 and 32x8 baseplates, and at 24
pixels high, the distinctive Toronto Star typography was still recognizable.
It is estimated roughly 3000-4000 bricks went into the construction, which
took less than 24 hours because of constraints to get the image out to press.

The masthead has never, in the modern history of the newspaper, been altered
in composition in this widespread fashion before. Special permission had to
be received from the publisher of the paper for this project.

The Toronto Star is Canada's largest daily newspaper, with a paid circlation
of 450,000 copies on Sundays.