 Announcements / 1307
New MOC: Moller M400 Skycar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.build, lugnet.town, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 19:37:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I have completed a minifig scale version of the M400 Skycar by Moller
International.

The model contains various SNOT (Studs Not On Top) techniques, with several
2-3-4-5 and "half stud" transformations in a small space.

The front nacelles and nose consist of studs in three directions coming
together in one spot. The back nacelles and fuselage have studs in 4
directions and a 2-3-4-5 transformation all occuring in a small space with a
volume equivalent to 4 standard bricks.

The canopy opens, and the cockpit in this model seats two (the real life
version seats 4).

The skycar is a car sized vehicle that uses vectored ducted air to hover and
to fly. (On my Lego model, you can see the horizontal deflection vanes in
the rear of the four nacelles.) The Skycar is the lifetime work of what has
to be the most determined aeronautical mind of our time - Paul Moller.

Each of the 4 nacelles has two redundant engines that each weigh 75 lbs and
produce 150hp apiece. To insure maximum safety, the rotary engines have only
3 moving parts, and the skycar can fly with only one engine operational out
of each pair (4 out of the total 8). The body design is a lifting surface
which allows a controlled glide descent if several engines fail, and the
entire vehicle can float on water in an emergency.

Range is 900 miles using standard gasoline (18-22 mpg), and it has a cruise
speed of 350mph, with a ceiling of 30,000 ft.

It can take off and land vertically in a 18 ft. radius parking lot or
building rooftop, produces no exhaust/thrust heat, and during
takeoff/landing only makes as much noise as a delivery truck. It also has
wheels and can be driven into your garage.

The most exciting thing is that this is a real vehicle that is getting close
to production! If you want to learn more about the Moller M400 Skycar,
follow these two links:

http://www.moller.com/skycar/
http://www.skyaid.org/Skycar/overview2001ALL.htm

I will also soon be posting another Lego model of my one seat Skycar racer
variant with improved engines and working landing gear.

I hope you enjoy. Please let me know what you think!

Mark Chan