 Ambassadors / 428
Re: Thoughts on LEGO Non-Disclosure Agreement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 02:48:14 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Jean-Marc Nimal wrote:
{I also posted this
<http://www.meltingbricks.net/articles/2009/07/13/thoughts-on-lego-non-disclosure-agreement/lang-pref/en/
as an article> on my own site but there isn't more to read over there, unless
you want to browse 1+ year-old archives of silly stuff.}¬¬ Now that the next
cycle of LEGO Ambassadors is beginning, and I'm not part of the program for
this cycle, I'd like to share some thoughts I have about it. While there is
of course a lot to be said about the Ambassadors program, I'll focus on the
Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) in particular, as I feel it's a seldom
discussed but important aspect of the program.

SNIP!

So, as newly appointed Ambassador, should you sign the NDA? That's
a personal question. I'd advise so, unless maybe if you're afraid to have to
pay more attention to what you say. I remember someone last year saying that
it was what the community he represented would expect from him. I don't think
he actually asked them, but that would probably the wisest choice: discuss it
with your community, and ask them what they think of it.¬¬ You do represent
them, after all.

While I may not be an Ambassador, I feel I can offer some guidance as to why the
NDA may scare people.  I think it's mainly because most people don't deal with
them every day.  It's a case of fear of the unknown and what the consequences
will be if they breach it.  Being the litigious society we are, everyone is
scared they are going to be penalized to the fullest extent if they slip.  The
reality is probably much less severe.  As I deal with these on a regular basis
(1-2 per week), I've become used to the language and what the NDA is trying to
protect.

In a nutshell, you should think about the information and whether it would be
useful to the competition.  If it involves any pre-release set information, it's
probably best kept confidential until the set is released.  The main goal of the
NDA is to keep competitors of TLG from getting any kind of leg up on the
development cycle.  Adhering to the NDA is general common sense.  If the
information is available anywhere in the public domain, it's probably fair game.
Again, I haven't read the NDA specifically...but I imagine it looks very similar
to what we use at work.  I imagine there is also a 'reverse engineering' clause
in there somewhere.

So should a person sign it?  I don't see why not.  As you mention, it's a
personal choice though.  I just don't think there is as much to be afraid of as
many people think.  :-)

-Dave
ToT-LUG