 Ambassadors / 212
Re: The Official "Issues List"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:11:54 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.ambassadors, William R. Ward wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Richie Dulin wrote:
   Well, community members have been repeatedly raising all the other issues on the list...

So, should we ignore them and put saving 9V trains to number 1 regardless of what community members are actually bringing to our attention and asking us to follow up?

I guess we could, but that strikes me as being arrogant in the extreme: “Lots of community members came to us with this list of complaints, but they don’t really know what’s important, so we put this other issue straight to the top of the list”.

I’m not sure that sort of approach would be terribly well received, either.

I just took a look at the current list (from http://news.lugnet.com/ambassadors/ right?) and I think there is a good reason to place 9V ahead of all of those issues:

If none of those issues are addressed by LEGO, there is no change. If the 9V trains issue is not addressed, things will get much, much worse for the hobby.

Well, the end of 9V trains would mean no change to my involvement in the hobby: no change to my purchasing patterns, no change to the amount of stuff I build, and so on.

By contrast, for example, if a portion of the product range is not available in my country, then there is a pretty good chance I won’t buy.

But that’s just me as an individual. I can look at the bigger picture, and appreciate that the end of 9V trains would probably have an affect on a number of community members, and MAY alter their purchasing patterns and the stuff they build.

   In other words, I think it’s more important to prevent something which will have at least as big of an impact on some AFOLs as the color change had - I can easily see a number of trainheads abandoning the hobby if 9V trains are canceled - than to improve the existing product.

I do wonder about the impact the colour change really had (and I acknowledge that, for some community members, it meant the end of their involvement, but there hasn’t been a mass exodus), so yes, I guess the end of 9V trains could have more of an impact.

There’s also the possibility that improving the existing product would draw more fans in than the end of 9V trains would lose. That is, of course, pure speculation on my part, but then, your assessment of “a number of trainheads abandoning the hobby” is speculation too.

Cheers

Richie Dulin
Community Member