 Adventurers / 2274
Re: Steampunk Dirigible: The Leslie Anne Levine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:04:32 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Nick Kappatos wrote:

I consider steampunk to be nothing more than straight-up witchcraft voodoo, so I was surprised to find that I like this. As always with your MOCs, it’s the attention to fine detail that makes this - the log bricks in the tail for a feathered effect, the backpacks and buckets used as ballast, the curved rope ladders around the main balloon.

Thanks for the praise, Nick. I’ll make a steampunk convert out of you yet. You’re right about the detail, but I would substitute “attention to” with “agonizing over”. Keep this a secret, but I put off finishing it for months because I couldn’t decide where to put the boiler. Just ask Soren.

Contrary to Jeff, I like the balloon colors; I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hot air balloon with a tasteful color scheme, much like bicycle shirts. Maybe a patchwork design of cartoon bedsheets would work, but what you have looks great.

Nick

Your “chibi” instincts are good: patchwork balloons with oversize stitches would be incredibly cute. Even better, I don’t think it’s been done before, except by Kevoh on a scale so small you can hardly tell it’s patchwork. Any ideas on how to pull it off?