 Adventurers / 2089
2088  |  2090
Subject:
Evolution of a Street Rod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:57:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I built a couple of cars this weekend. I originally sat down to build an Adventurer’s themed car to go with a night club MOC that I’m working on. The result turned out looking more like one of those thin racing cars from the 30’s.

Not happy with the results, I wondered what it would look like with running boards attached. I liked the result, and made a few more modifications, ending up with exactly what I was going for.

So, here is Johnny Thunder’s touring car:

Brickshelf Gallery

After that car was completed, I started thinking about how people modify old cars to create slick street rods. I began to imagine what it would be like if Johnny’s grandson (who I nicknamed Bucky) modified the old touring car a couple of generations later.

Bucky removed the mirrors, tinted the windshield, chopped the roof, replaced the running boards, added racing slicks and new hubs, and beefed up the engine. The result:

Brickshelf Gallery

I had a lot of fun with this build, and the two cars look great together on my desk. My only wish is that I had the parts to build the street rod in red. I may have to make a few Bricklink purchases in the near future. ;)

As always, comments appreciated.

P.S. I did try out the air scoop piece from the new Racers sets, but I like the chrome look of the grille tiles better.

P.P.S Based on the LDraw file I drew up, the cars look better with light grey front grilles, but I only have them in dark grey. Yet another excuse to hit Bricklink.

-Elroy