 Administrative / Suggestions / 20
19  |  21
Subject:
Newsgroup suggestion: lugnet.bit-bucket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:05:34 GMT

Sometimes it would be nice to have a news group to set followups to
which would not actually accept posts, and would bounce an error back to
the poster letting them know. This would be handy when you want to make
a remark which you do not want any responses being posted, at least not
without an explicit override (for example, see my last post to
lugnet.off-topic.debate - I suspect people will reply to it, but I won't
be reading the replies). Another good example would be the person who
got involved in a debate, and people continued to question him after he
said "enough". If his future posts were FUTed to a bit bucket, people
might have gotten the message better.

This could also be useful for certain kinds of announcements (again,
remember, should someone really feel the need to post a reply, they can
always override the FUT, or they can reply by e-mail).

Frank