 Administrative / Suggestions / 1038
Re: Parts Ref upgrade?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:05:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford wrote:
   And I can’t think of an answer to these questions that doesn’t involve problems with the parts ref. Can anyone else? And is the composite turntable part in the parts ref? I can’t think of any other way to find it.

There are problems with Partsref. The counts on the keywords list are, at best, approximate. The search is inaccurate. The biggest problem is that it hasn’t been updated in over 2 years.

To address your direct concern: the most stable way to dig out information is to go through the category links (unfortunately, it’s hard to search this way -- you have know (or guess) the part’s categorization). In this case, look under the Moving Elements category, then the Turntables subcategory, and you’ll see the 5 turntable elements recognized by Partsref.

I stopped updating Partsref because, at the time, it was too much of a hassle to maintain and enhance. If I remember right, I was frustrated on a number of coordination issues.

Now, I think the time for Partsref may have passed -- it only includes parts in LDraw, so it misses quite a bit of parts-information. Peeron and Bricklink are better parts-references than Partsref. However, I’d be willing to consider a doing a Partsref 2.0, if people want the resource to be available.

Steve