 Administrative / NNTP / 883
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:16:38 GMT

Larry Pieniazek  wrote in message .
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Daniel Staudt writes:
while i understand the need for this system i think it would be easyer on
alot of people if it (maybe as an option") simply did a reply send to
verify the message instead of clikcing on a link, waiting for your • browser
to open, reading the message, and clicking on the right button.

I think the issue with a reply is that, unless something specific was
required to entered into the mail, it is too easy to put replies on
automatic pilot by automating the reply with a rule in your mail program.

As soon as you do that, you have the spoofhole again.

My thinking is the essence of this scheme is that it requires positive
action of some sort on your part to work.

Excuse me for just suggesting this option in another mail.

I don't agree.
A very simple way is to make the header look like this:
Message_id 54dfDF7_&2532))sdrt4325ds
which still is readable while answering the mail - and this id is generated
by lugned, then it is unique.
(Re: Message_id 54dfDF7_&2532))sdrt4325ds)

I also noticed that I just sent 2 post - and got 2 mails - but I just
clicked them without checking them for being my messages [bus still I sent 2
messages and got 2 answer - must be correct]
So these kind of check will still fail now and them.

Secondly - by answering  to an email - that can be done offline giving time
to read it without the $$$ running.

I don't see anything bad in this checking, just want to make it easy to use.

So maybe an option of HOW to check in stead of CHECK OR NOT.

Med venlig hilsen / Tervitades
Sonnich