 Administrative / NNTP / 360
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:30:32 GMT

I'm a little late coming on this discussion topic but I thought I'd add my
thoughts anyhow.  I'd be interested in your current thoughts on this issue
Todd, after reading so many responses.....not that I doubt you'll keep us
all well aware of your planned changes anyway!

So, speak your opinions on these:

First, I'm curious as to whether I'm the only person on Lugnet who is NOT a
big fan of compartmentalization.  I just find it more of a pain than
convenience to have a list 5 kms long of newsgroups in my reader.  Some
compartmentalization is good, but some just irks me to no end.  From what I
percieve, it seems that often here on Lugnet a certain specific topic will
become "hot" for a short period of time, during which some of the people
following the group become "irked" at the number of messages specifically
related to this topic.  Therefore, they decide probably a new group should
be added on this topic.  About two weeks later the hot topic has died off
but the group remains like an old sock on the bedroom floor, gathering dust
but never being picked up.  This leads to a multitude of groups that end up
being "dead ends", and for anyone new to Lugnet, the vast number of groups
is quite overwhelming.

Examples of what I think is good compartmentalization:
lugnet.town
lugnet.castle
lugnet.space
lugnet.robotics
etc etc etc

What I percieve as cumbersome compartmentalization:
lugnet.build and lugnet.build.arch - do these really need to be separate?
lugnet.robotics.* - I'd like to see some of these combined
lugnet.publish.* - a fairly recent compartmentalisation that leaves me
scratching my head - was there that many messages in lugnet.publish?
etc etc etc
(as you can see, it's the "sub group of a sub group of a sub group" style
hierarchy that I don't much care for)

* Add new group lugnet.rant or lugnet.lego.rant?  Why or why not?

* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?

Well, based on my above reasoning, I'd have to say no.  Unless maybe the
lugnet.dear-lego group was removed.  How much difference, realistically,
will there be between what is currently going on in lugnet.dear-lego and
lugnet.lego.rant.  Furthermore, you mentioned earlier about trying to clear
up the confusion over what is appropriate in certain groups, and I can see
.rant and .rave being mixed together and messed up lots.

* Add new group lugnet.debate?  Why or why not?

Hmmm....this one might be good, but IMO, this sort of thing leads (and has
been leading) to further negating the lugnet.general group, making the
.general group essentially useful for a big cross-posting center.  Perhaps
this is desireable, I'm not sure.

* Axe regional subgroups of lugnet.loc.xx and field requests for new
  subgroups on a country-by-country basis -- let them grow organically?
  Why or why not?

Yes.  For example, in Atlantic Canada, there are probably only at most 15 or
20 Lugnetters, yet there are enough sub-divided groups to drown a small
rodent.  I think others may agree, for example, in our particular case, that
we'd like to see .loc.ca.nb.*, .loc.ca.pei.*, .loc.ca.ns.*, and .loc.ca.nf.*
combined into one group such as .loc.ca.atlantic or something.  I'm sure
this varies so much around the globe that it's hard to say how it is
everywhere.  But I tend to think that the dynamic in Eastern Canada would
lend itself to this combo-group working out best.  I'm in Saint John, NB,
but I'm subscribed to most of the above mentioned groups.  So yeah, I think
that it would work well if the .loc groups were combined to the country
level at first, but you remained flexible in adding new groups of this
particular type as requested by the people involved.

I *especially* would like to hear your opinions if you haven't weighed in • on
any of these issues before.

Well I guess I fit that bill!

~~

Tim