 Administrative / NNTP / 318
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 03:16:02 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

So, speak your opinions on these:

* Add new group lugnet.rant or lugnet.lego.rant?  Why or why not?

* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?

* Add new group lugnet.debate?  Why or why not?

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
  these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
  .swap?  Why or why not?

* How much and what type of flogging would you like to see in .loc groups?
  None?  Some?  Anything goes?  Only certain types?  Why or why not?

* Axe regional subgroups of lugnet.loc.xx and field requests for new
  subgroups on a country-by-country basis -- let them grow organically?
  Why or why not?

* Move lugnet.trains.org to lugnet.org.train/ltc/etc., and move
  lugnet.castle.org to lugnet.org.castle, and move lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
  to lugnet.org.cad.ldraw (or something)?  Why or why not?

I *especially* would like to hear your opinions if you haven't weighed in on
any of these issues before.

Thanks,
--Todd

I have mixed feelings about trying to apply order in matters of speech. I
appreciate trying to make things orderly, and by segregating posts to areas they
would be sought in would avoid flames from people who have to wade through
messages that would be junk in their eyes. However, sometimes I wonder how much
I'm missing by just sticking with my narrow interests.

My narrow interests include auctions, and I don't perceive a problem with the
current arrangement. I thought briefly about segmenting auctions into .Ebay and
.private, but it doesn't bother me if they are lumped together.

What I would like to suggest is considering a trade experiences group. Ebay has
its feedback system, but it does have weaknesses. 80 characters sometimes isn't
enough to explain in detail how someone someone went the extra mile to make a
trade work. It also limits ones ability to question high handling costs or
reslove other problems. A group that would allow people to expand on their
experiences with other traders could be valuable for all involved.

Sorry for not addressing the points you laid out, but I did want to add this to
the mix.

Thanks - Mark