 Administrative / NNTP / 1299
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 20:33:45 GMT

Popping in for a second.  I *mostly* use a newsreader still, so much of this
doesn't effect me, but I still think it's a cool move to add some more
dimension to Lugnet.

As for people worrying about large or animated sig banners...  The community
has always done a good job of helping newbies post and helping with
netiquette in the past.  I don't see any reason why that won't translate to
this.  As soon as someone starts posting with some obnoxious sig image I'm
sure they're going to get called on it.

The type of communities that seem to have a lot of that stuff allow it
because they're usually not too bright to begin with.

For the record, I don't see anything wrong with small sig images.  (that
don't blink :-)

[ j o n ]

--
http://zemi.net
http://the-shipyard.com

"Adrian Drake" <tremor@apk.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.nntp, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Dan Boger wrote:
neat - can we make something that will filter out all the FTX in mail
and NNTP?  Currently, all the new posts show up as text/x-ftx, and • until
I tell mutt that that's plain text (with some noise), it doesn't • display
it at all.  But cool for the web interface users :)  Attack of the
animated gif sigs :)

Actually, could there be a cookie setting to turn them off (IE strip • them out,
not just show raw text) in the web interface? Personally, I never could • stand
signatures with images and all the other fancy, colorful junk that often • gets
thrown in with posts on other forums. Lugnet was kind of a nice break • from that.
Not to mention being "safe" to view at work (shame on me). Anyone can • spot that
you're not doing work when you're on a site plauged with fancy colors • and images
:)

DaveE

I agree, while it's an interesting feature, I'd really rather there not be • any
images contained in lugnet posts.  Is it really that hard to deep-link to • a
brickshelf image instead?  It quite frankly draws your attention away from • the
text, and is an eyesore to me.  I'd be satisfied, though with a conversion • of
inline images into links for those who don't wish for that feature to be
represented on their screen if there are lots of people who think this is • a good
idea.

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com