 Administrative / General / 9932
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:45:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
I don't know what the ratios are as to who uses the web vs. nntp
interfaces, but for people using nntp there is no easy way to access
the charter of a newsgroup.

Is it true that there's no easy way? When I was viewing lugnet via NNTP I
had my newsreader set to never discard posts (that was a long time ago, it
took a lot less space than it would now) so I could go look at post #1 in a
group without too much trouble at all.

Is it always in message #1?  What if the charter has been revised at
some point later on?  It's easy in my newsreader (emacs+gnus) to jump
to message #1, or any message in the group I'm reading if I know its
number, but I didn't think that was necessarily guaranteed to do the
trick.  But this is highly newsreader-dependent.

Because of revisions, the most current charter is not always post #1 but with a
news reader you should be able to sort by topic.  Locate message #1 and then
sort to see if others show up with the same topic heading.

With a news reader this is even easier than with HHTP.

___