 Administrative / General / 9748
Re: Curator for lugnet.trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:56:08 GMT

Larry,
You are mind bogglingly mistaken at a number of levels, but like I said
yesterday (when most your nation was spending time with their families, and
you were causing a nuisance here), I'm not going to squabble with you on this.

I have made my suggestion - reject it if you wish.

Scott A

In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford writes:

One way to test is to keep a copy in your personal Lugnet area, and
test there,
maybe even posting a link if you want others to check it out before updating
the main page. However for something like the main trains page (or any • group's
main page), which is fairly small anyway, and generally only contains links, • I
agree it's probably not worth it.

Too much cut and paste, too likely to introduce errors, too labor intensive
and no real benefit.

Well, although I agree (as I said above) that it's probably not worth the
effort, I'd disagreee with the rest. I've re-organised my personal LUGNET site
a couple of times now, and it's real easy to copy pages - just go into edit
mode, copy the FTX source, edit the new location and paste. And that's the
essence of what I was suggesting.

Yes, and thanks for the suggestion. I've tried it and I find it to be error
prone compared to edit in place.

It's just *not like* HTML where you upload the exact
page you want after checking it out locally. This is particularly true for
the front page of a newsgroup, it's almost impossible to simulate offline or
on a personal page.

Well, not knowing the differences between the newsgroup front page and >personal
LUGNET pages[1], I can't comment on that.

That's just the way FTX is, it's server side, and unlike say, ASP, the
server side interpeter engine isn't widely available so you can't set it up
somewhere else to test with. That's not bad, it's not good, it's just the
way it is.

People making suggestions would do well to keep that in mind.  Unless their
motive is actually to stir up trouble rather than be constructive, of course.

Ease up, Larry. I suggested what I think is a totally viable (if not always
practical)

(as an aside, to this architect if it's not practical it's not viable)

way to test a page before updating the newsgroup front page. I
wasn't expecting you to implement it, that's why I made the "probably not >worth
it" comment. I still think it's a useful suggestion for curators, even if you
choose not to use it for .trains. Making snide remarks doesn't do anyone any
good.

I don't see *you* stirring up trouble. My (not snide, by the way) remark
wasn't directed at you. Nor was it directed at the half dozen fine folks
who, while Scott was sniping at me with apparently no FTX experience and no
additional information to offer (telling me that something, missing
yesterday when I took over, that I marked as "link?" doesn't have a link
isn't exactly news, it's carping), sent me links and suggestions offline.
All of which have been incorporated in either .trains or .trains.org

Thank you, Ross, for your process related suggestion. While I don't think
it's feasible for me, for reasons I gave, others may indeed find it useful.

A BIG thanks to James Brown for your wealth of information on how better to
do FTX editing and pointers to numerous samples and ways to see the source
including the revision history. Thank yous also to Russell Clark, Chris
Leach, Mike Walsh, James Trobaugh, Kevin Wilson, Jake McKee and others for
your suggested links and organizational thoughts, sent in via email as I
requested.

And a big hearty NO THANK YOU to Scott Arthur for starting (and continuing)
yet another public bicker, and for doing so in the wrong group. Your carping
was not appreciated. Your suggestions, such as they are, have been noted,
and rejected. I will continue to leave markers in place for missing
information if I feel that information is important enough to want to see it
get filled in. I will continue to leave inside jokes in place, as it is my
view that the process of "getting" the inside joke builds community as it
draws the newcomer in.

That is all.