 Administrative / General / 9499
Re: It's almost like Mail Bombing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:10:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dean Husby writes:
Whenever I post to some groups I get hit with a barrage of "Out of the
office" and "Undeliverable Mail" replies to my personal mail box. This
is VERY annoying. Is there any way we can do something about this?

The groups gated to mailing lists are the worst for this. (for example
lugnet.robotics)

There is not much to do about undeliverable mail as a person but I have a
canned note saved that suggests that people ought to turn off their
subscriptions or train their mail clients better if they go away for
extended periods and use out of office mechanisms(1). I send that note to
each and every one I get. Doesn't help me much but may help the next guy
down the line.

I wonder if there is a way to handle this administratively? Pair networks
sends out a periodic test message to its mailing lists once a quarter or so
that flushes out the undeliverables (but doesn't help with vacation mailers
unless they are on at the time)

1 - I personally never use them on real emails (I do on client email systems
when I leave but I would never subscribe to a mailing list from a client's
email) so I don't have a lot of sympathy. I read my mail every day, just
about, vacation or no.

++Lar