 Administrative / General / 9188
Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 05:44:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jaco van der Molen writes:
<this nyme is being used because I was once again banned, complain to
my ISP if you like, however that's only likely to result in me using a
proxy server, something my ISP has no control over.  I'm gonna speak
my piece, whether anyone likes it or not.>

Hence the futility of banning/repeat-cancelling Mr Moulton. I would never
defend his past actions, but I see no point in continually bringing them up.
Especially when he actually has some good stuff to show off, despite the
rat-baggage. Who knows? He may even turn into a useful member of the
community...

James Jessiman was an AFOL who worked on a program for drawing lego pieces
etc..and to make instructions out of them. The result of his work is found
at http://www.ldraw.org , a commonly used program for rendering lego creations.

Sadly, James died a few years ago at a young age. As a way of remembering
and saying thanks, the LDRAW homepage has a memorial for James and for the
work that he began.

Simon has put a link on his own page (see the original link) with the words
"James Jessiman is Dead...deal with it NOW". Despite that it links to the
memorial page, its a rather tactless way of doing it.

No, no, NO!  It DOESN'T link to the memorial page, it links to the
image archive of cheap Inet statuary.  I have no problems with the
memorial page, in fact I think it's really good.  What I'm against is
the cheapening of his death and the ideal to turn him into a demigod
of the Lego community.  In fact, if the image archive is taken off,
I'll take the link button off my site.  The memorial has NOTHING to do
with this at all.

I disagree with the "demi-god" comment, and I think the "deal with it NOW"
banner is in atrocious taste. I'm not part of the ldraw community, and I
suppose how they remember James is their choice. However [very deep breath],
I think Matthew has a reasonable point.

Some of the memorial images are respectfully sombre, some less so. I'm not
convinced that the memorial page needs a dozen alternative image links. And
I think some effort should be made to get his year of birth correct on all
of them.

But then I didn't know James, I don't know what he would have wanted and I
don't intend to antagonise a particularly productive sub-community. If the
image archive stays, it's not the end of the world. And if Matthew hangs
around LUGNET, that's not the apocalypse either.

--DaveL