 Administrative / General / 7926
Re: member pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 22:13:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi Todd,
I signed up for my Lugnet membership a long time ago, and still no member
pack. Just thought I'd let you know,

Hi Mark, did you get the e-mail that went out on September 14?  I'll past a
copy below, at the end of this message, just in case.

I had hoped to get these out by the end of September but focused instead on
AucZILLA XIII -- much more at stake there.  So it's still gonna be another
week or two, but rest assured that there's nothing in the packet that you
actually need in order to use LUGNET.  Prior to about 1 month ago, the packet
was the only way for someone to get their start-up password, and we tried to
get these out within 2 weeks of receiving payment.  The new packets (actually,
they're the same as the old packets) still contain a password, but you can
consider it a "backup" password to augment the one you have already received.
(If you haven't received a pw yet, write me a mail!)

The original confirmation email that went out upon activation said that the
packet should be arriving with two weeks; the new mails that go out now say
it should arrive within a few weeks.  This allows us to print the cards,
stickers, packets, address labels, etc. less often and more at a time.  On
my other machine, right now I'm making a print run of 200 card jacket sheets,
then those get scored, folded, and sliced, and the other stuff goes into it.

--Todd

Here is the e-mail that went out on September 14 to people who hadn't been
sent packets as of September 14:
Subject: LUGNET Membership Packet and Password

Greetings!

We are streamlining the LUGNET Membership process this month and, as a result,
we'll be changing the way passwords are initially relayed to you.

Rather than sending an initial password along with the Membership Packet,
the server will be sending you an initial password via e-mail (sometime within
the next 24 hours).  This will allow you to sign in and start doing things as
a Member right away -- prior to receiving your packet (with Membership card,
etc.)  Your Packet will have an additional backup password, but its usage is
not required.

Since the Membership Packets involve physical labor and printing things in
batches of 10, we'll be queueing these up less frequently.  Yours may not
arrive until later in September.  However, once you have received your
password via e-mail (very soon), the Packet is really only a formality.

By the way, we recently bought a hot-laminator machine and redesigned the
Membership cards for extra durability.  At least one person had accidentally
put his old card through the washing machine, which ruined it.  The old cards
used a cold-lamination process which wasn't water-safe.  The new cards are
shiny and dazzling.  :-)  The card is pressed between two larger pieces of
hot plastic, sealing all four edges and protecting the card from water damage
or soiling.  Picture:  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/card.jpg

Thanks again for your support!

Todd & Suz