 Administrative / General / 6541
Re: PW validation terms/labels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 17:53:25 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Here is why "1 - Lax" is in fact lax and not even remotely close to serious:

1.  It passes terribly poor 4-character passwords such as "chow", "itso",
    and "frob", and in fact passes 90% of all 4-character randomly generated
    pw's using a linear distribution of the letters 'a' to 'z'.  26^4 =
    456,976 (bad).

2.  It passes 95% of all 4-character randomly generated pw's using a linear
    distribution of the letters a-z and the digits 0-9.  36^4 = 1,679,616
    (also bad).

3.  It passes 99% of all 4-character randomly generated pw's using a linear
    distribution of the 95 printable ASCII characters.  95^4 = 81,450,625
    (still rather bad).

It you believe that any of the above is not lax, then I would posit that you
have at best a weak understanding of even the most basic statistical and
mathematical issues related to pw cracking.  (Sorry.)

Perhaps part of the problem is the relative weights attached to various
elements of strength of passwords. I would generally agree that a 4
character password should not be accepted (of course I suspect most of
us have a significant amount of money protected only by our physical
possesion of a plastic card, and a 4 DIGIT password - I at least chose
an 8 digit PIN the one time I was allowed to chose a PIN, but few ATM
systems these days allow anything other than a 4 digit PIN).

I'm not sure that boiling the strength of a password down to a single
number is the best way to go about it. Why not require a few things,
like minimum length, and let the other checking try and reject trivial
extensions of a short password into the minimum length.

However, you have spoken that this is the final word on Lugnet
passwords, follow-ups to lugnet.off-topic.debate if anyone cares to
continue discussion.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com