 Administrative / General / 6523
Re: PW validation terms/labels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 00:20:44 GMT

I find the labels a bit pejorative, as they impose your thinking on what level
of security is appropriate on what should just be strength metrics.

For example at setting 1 "lax" it fails passwords that I consider perfectly
adequate for the risk level here at Lugnet and which I would use if I could.

The next setting up is "casual" but it is far from casual, it's already shading
up towards quite restrictive.

Suggest you dump the labels and just go with numeric indicators. My lax is
probably -23 on your scale and I would call your lax "serious" and your casual
"moderately insane".

So clearly these labels are going to be divisive if you keep them. Just say you
require security level 2 and leave it at that with no label attached to it.

PS, my opinion remains unchanged, even 2 is way too strong for what is needed
here but that's a different issue.

++Lar