 Administrative / General / 6477
Re: Reconsidering .admin.council group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:34:44 GMT

In retrospect, creating the lugnet.admin.council newsgroup was a mistake.

The intention was to have a place where delicate or time-consuming issues
could be resolved by some consensus-based decision process, off in a corner,
without cluttering up the regular groups.

Is it safe to assume that the "council" itself is also no more? For the record,
I think the idea of have a group of people to make decisions on all sorts of
subjective & objective issues is a good thing, especially if that group of
people represent a range of opinions and experiences. The problem is how that
group of people are selected. In retrospect, perhaps, some sort of election
would have made the general populous feel that the council represented them -
rather than, arguably, Todd/themselves.

If LUGNET continues to grow, and despite some discontent I expect it to, having
a single person manage and implement change may not be realistic. I know
already that some people do have some niggles about the method of operation
right now - the 100's of posts to this group over the last 10 days highlighted
this. I think serious thought needs to be given to make sure that LUGNET
continues to meet the actual, not perceived, needs of current and potential
future users.

I was speaking offline about this generally  last week, at the time when 10-15%
of the posts coming into LUGNET were to .admin. It was argued, not by me, that
the only reason LUGNET is growing, is because there is no real alternative.
Right now I know of one group which has upped sticks and operates now as a
mailing list. Will it be the last?

Scott A