 Administrative / General / 6467
Re: PW validation (was: Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:23:12 GMT

This is an interesting subject. However, I only know one person who keeps a
written note of his password/ATM number etc. The only reason he does this is
because he is dyslexic.  Despite that, I'm sure that as more and more web
services now ask for passwords, I suppose people will write down passwords,
use the same one all the time or develop some other strategy.

Scott A

"Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message

I take it as a given that most people

but not all. I don't.

will still write a password down
somewhere no matter how easy or difficult it is for them to remember (if • they
feel that password is important) just in case they might forget it.  Even • if
most people don't, it certainly doesn't alarm me one bit knowing that • some
people would -- and do.

Maybe they write it down backwards, or shifted by one letter, or • letter-case
flopped,

I doubt most people that write down passwords apply any of these cyphers • to
them but I am just speculating on this particular point.

or even raw, but it's still safer for them and for LUGNET if they
keep a written record of it in a safe place (such as their wallet or • purse
or bureau at home) than if they have a weak password which could be • guessed
at from any of 100 million nodes on the Internet.

Fascinating... can you provide a reference for this assertion, or is it • just
conjecture? Keeping ATM passwords in one's wallet or purse is a • particularly
bad practice, for example. But then, we're talking about something rather
different than money, aren't we?

++Lar