 Administrative / General / 6447
Re: PW validation (was: Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:03:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Anders Isaksson writes:
I'm not sure what you're asking here...

oh, sorry.  I was asking if you meant that people (a) actually wouldn't be
_able_ to choose a password that was easy for them to remember or (b) actually
could but wouldn't bother trying to come up with one that was easy for them to
remember.  In other words, did you mean that you would be inclined to come up
with something difficult to remember but which passed, and then simply write
that down somewhere, or would you take the time to come up with something that
you could actually remember easily?

What I tried to say was:
If I have to construct a (for me) strange password, 'just to please the
system' (that's how most users see it, at least), the probability of my
remembering it is lower than if the system accepts whatever I choose. The
harder it is to remember, the higher the probability that I have to keep it
written down somewhere (easily accessible).

I take it as a given that most people will still write a password down
somewhere no matter how easy or difficult it is for them to remember (if they
feel that password is important) just in case they might forget it.  Even if
most people don't, it certainly doesn't alarm me one bit knowing that some
people would -- and do.

Maybe they write it down backwards, or shifted by one letter, or letter-case
flopped, or even raw, but it's still safer for them and for LUGNET if they
keep a written record of it in a safe place (such as their wallet or purse
or bureau at home) than if they have a weak password which could be guessed
at from any of 100 million nodes on the Internet.

--Todd