 Administrative / General / 6423
Re: PW validation (was: Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:55:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Richard Franks <spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com> wrote:
But the validator doesn't find non-sucky passwords, it just finds the least
randomised - ie, it will pass something like:
4h(i,>$s&      but fail:
4h(i,>$s&-fun

It's finding _more_ random passwords in a technical sense of "random". (More
random = containing no sequences. Or more accurately, no part of the number
follows from any other part.)

Yup - you're right - my squiff (I meant *more*) :)

I agree that the super-cool validator may be overkill for the current state
of LUGnet -- there's no money or credit card information involved. However,
it may be quite reasonable for the future.

I'd be happy with a user-responsible password for membership logins (ie 90% of
membership use including posting privilidges), but with authorisation through a
LUGNET-validated password for more intimate services (ie financial). I think
Todd suggested that 2-tier password scheme already?

Richard