 Administrative / General / 6258
6257  |  6259
Subject:
Ratings are making me paranoid!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 00:06:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I didn't really pay attention to the rating system til recently...It was
instituted and functioning while I was out of town...I don't really
understand, even after reading many posts.

I think rating could be very helpful in aforementioned groups like
announcements, dear Lego etc.  where someone like Brad Justus is looking for
data/input.

I am kinda steamed...p-ed off, etc.

I try to be brief in my posts, but this time I am going to suck up some
bandwith...Pardon my lengthy rant, but I rarely get excited about anything
(I am usually more layed back than most of the deceased = )

I understand that 50 is an arbitray midpoint/average for Lugnet posts...I
may be self-absorbed, myopic, or paranoid, but I am caught in a Catch 22.
When I comment on topics, thoughtfully offering suggestions or registering
feedback I now find myself concerned about subsequent ratings for some
unnown reason.  I try to avoid "me too" or "that's great" posts unless I am
truly impressed or I have something to offer.  Now I sometimes feel like I
have wasted someone's time by posting a message that is "not worth the
rating" or even worse "downgraded from the mean".  I sometimes feel that my
genuine desire to support someone else or "pat them on the back" for their
ingenuity can now be perceived as contributing little to the conversation.
The puzzle for me,<sarcatic tone> do I comment and risk having my fragile
ego shattered w/ a low rating or even worse no rating at all?  Or do I just
lurk in obscurity occasionally postig comments that please the anonomous
powers that be?

I realize this isn't supposed to be a competition, but more recently I have
hesitated to participate or provide any input in Lgnet groups.  I feel like
some anonomous soul I have never met or had a beer with is now casting
aspertions on my mental processes or comments.

MY RANT:

I posted in .auction this afternoon about some items on eBay (that is what
auctio is for, right?) Now my post is rated at less than average...I suspect
that this due to a broken link that I do not know how to repair.  In the
time it took to rate my post, someone probably could have pointed out the
problem or suggested a solution. Now my auction post is less worthy than the
one above or below...does this possibly lead to me losing a customer if my
post gets rated lower and lower?  I was on topic in an auction group...

Secondly, I am hesitant to share any of my building projects in some of the
groups because they "are not traditional" or may not be good enough to get a
coveted high rating.  By and large I suppose I ave more ambivalent/nuetral
feedback than anything, but I feel that the content of my projects is being
rated not the quality of my post...I think any post about an MOC deserves
high marks because it is a contribution (modest or major) to the whole
Lugnet community.  As eluded to in a Dan Jezek post, I think I got some
"CRAP" ratings because my project may not be "cool" to someone.  Normally, I
wouldn't care, I build for me not someone else, BUT I think the rating
system can be used to maintain the status quo or potentially persecute
individuals.

I understand many of the principles and potential benefits of this rating
system....Over time, as more people rate articles, the system may improve
the quality of Lugnet posts.  However I never had a huge problem when
articles weren't rated.  I think the rating system, as it exists currently,
is condescending or judgemental; consequently, of no use to me.

So I guess I may post some pics tonight or tomorrow and then go away for the
weekend and have a good time (participating in discussions that are not
rated by anything more than laughs and beers)