 Administrative / General / 6253
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:48:21 GMT

Todd Lehman skrev i meddelandet ...
[...about the rating system...]

As I only read via a newsreader (off-line), I don't see the ratings and, even
if I had been a member, don't have any opportunity to rate, I find it rather
unnecessary. The storms that it has raised are, IMO, equally disturbing as
auction posts in the wrong groups, if not worse.
(It's about time to kill-file posts containing 'rating')

Specific personal questions:

3.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the ratings were not even
collected and collated in the first place?  (i.e. the destruction of the
feature altogether)

Suits me fine! But as I don't see the ratings (only the wawes they create), it
doesn't matter much either way.

7.  How does your initial reaction to the announcement of the article rating
system compare to your current opinion of it?

It sounded like a good idea, although not very important. The effects have
been disturbing.

8.  Do you feel that it is too early, too late, or the right time to address
these issues?

It's about time!

9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?  LEGO sets?
Websites?  Individual web pages?  etc...

Rating of sets might be meaningful, although you have to realize that people
have different opinions, and *none* of them are wrong.

Rating of web pages would be even more crushing for the down-rated individual
than a spurious '0' on a posting. We all know *our* page is good (if not the
best)!

Thanks for your time,

Thanks for *your* time Todd, lugnet *IS* fantastic, but IMO you should use
your time for something else than rating systems.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm