 Administrative / General / 6244
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:35:41 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
2.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed ever to anyone but collected and used by the server only
for internal calculations, hotlist generation, and personal recommendations
to you?

I think this is my preference. Furthermore, I think it'd be good if the
current numerical scheme (while cool from a geek point of view) were reduced
to two buttons: "This article is great" and "This article is off-topic".

6.  Do you feel that the article rating system makes it easier for you or
harder for you to share your ideas?  And does this bother you?

I'm sorta annoyed by the way it doesn't work from the nntp interface (at
least not without some serious hacking). That alone is a divisive problem.
(Especially since the web interface is less capable than a newsreader in so
many other ways.)

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/