 Administrative / General / 6056
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:23:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pwsa/

Oh, hey, I'd missed this. Two suggestions:

1. Can you use https for this?

What's involved in setting up an https server?  I remember reading once upon
a time (it must've been about 2 years ago) that it could be kind of a mess,
and that connections often took 1 second to authenticate.  That would be a
problem for random HTTP requests using cookies, but the password isn't plain-
text there so it's less risky.  For a sign-in or a change-password page, it
would be OK if it took a second or two.

2. How about a 'passwords submitted aren't logged' privacy statement?

OK.

Why? 'Cause it's so cool I was instantly tempted into typing in old
passwords that I no longer use, and was almost tempted into typing in
passwords _currently_ in use. (And by Larry's posts, I see he was tempted
too...) Bad. :)

Also:

/|\@++|>/|\ =  361%  Excellent (PASS)

Do those symbols that supposed to mean something?

--Todd

:)