 Administrative / General / 5911
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 03:52:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

It doesn't check for up/down/left/right keyboard shifting, no.

It doesn't check QWERTY vs Dvorak translations, for example "Ham.o1" is
"James1" in Qwerty on a Dvorak keyboard, and it got a "great".  Some other
obvious/common words failed the translation.

It doesn't check for cross-keyboard translations either, no.  If I can get my
hands on more keyboard xy tables, maybe I can check for these too.

Also, just as an aside, it generates "mild risk" for the weirest things!

Ya, its dictionary of matching words is pretty insane.  One of the input
files had several megabytes of unique words from USENET.  Many of the other
weird things come from acronyms and non-English words.

--Todd

Okay, what is left??
I am wondering what kind of imagination I will need to generate an acceptable
password.  So far I have had no problem generating passwords that exceed 300%
acceptance, but if the acceptable parameters continue to become more narrow my
passwords of choice may require modification.
BTW--pleased to report that my lugnet randomly generated password returns a
534% approval rating.  I think I may stick with this password for a while.

__Kevin Salm__