 Administrative / General / 5821
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:22:05 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

Then my birthday is a not very good password FOR ME because it's guessable from
context, my birthday is easily obtainable. But it's not a bad password at ALL
for Ed Jones, who has no explicit connection to me that anyone knows of,
because it's just a random string of dates and slashes. It has no meaning that
an attacker can guess and so is as strong as any other random string of numbers

I'm not a guru on the subject by any means, but while an attacker using
wordlists and trying to crack a password with bruteforce or something
like, I mean, by trial and error, I think any combination of dates are
just easy cakes. for a format of mm/dd/yy, there are only 36500
possibilities for a 100 year period, for example. Just a thought..:-)

Selçuk