 Administrative / General / 5779
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:15:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:42:11 GMT, Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

I don't know if this really is a bad password, but I
couldn't resist trying it:

  2x4=3001

Another lost password choosing algorithm :-(

Ooh -- I'd better make sure that it dislikes [0-9]+[xX][0-9]+ and [0-9]{4} .

OK, try that again now.  Seeing that this site is LEGO-related, it's best to
treat "x" and "X" as part of numeric stuff.  In fact there are many other
things besides 'x' and '=' which are numeric-related.  :-o

It now very much dislikes numerical and/or mathematical substrings (the longer
the worse) consisting of two or more of the following characters:

  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : . , + - * / x X # % < = > $ ¢ £ ¤ ¥

--Todd

You might want to add ^ for exponentiation.  I just posted a list passwords
that passed, including 4 variations of the Theory of Relativity.

Rob

-

Rob Farver - mailto:rfarver@rcn.com
             http://www.farver.com/lego/