 Administrative / General / 5729
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:30:51 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

First important question:

  Are there any bad passwords which this fails to reject?  (If it rejects
  a seemingly good password, that's not necessarily a problem.  Failing to
  reject a bad password is a far more serious problem.)

It allows: a1b2c3, but fails 1a2b3c, I thought it would (and probably does)
check for numeric sequences?

Second important question:

  Are there words that you can think of which this fails to detect as
  potential weaknesses?  (Try to stump it!)

It fails: LL-918 as worthless, but gives LL-928 an excellent :) Maybe you
should add lots of LEGO set names and abbreviations? EG RBR, SES, etc?

Also, my LUGNET password got a bravissimo, and all the passwords I normally use
were worthless :)

squiff9 worked, probably because squiff isn't a word. but people do make up
words.. so if there was a way to check if the words conform to spelling rules?
Did you enter 'fibblesnork' to the DB? I couldn't get that to work even with
slight multilation :)

As an aside, would you actually allow someone to brute-force hack into a LUGNET
account? Or disable the account for X hours automatically after Y fails? If Y
was 5 or something else low, then the possibility of brute-force hacks is
significantly reduced?

Richard